December 22, 2010

Post traumatic stress?

Since my wife is student teaching she is constantly asking me about things that I did as a student teacher during the first half of the school year. It's interesting though because I can't remember most of it. I'm constantly trying to remember, but I can't.

Therefore, I think that I may have some level of post traumatic stress disorder. My coping mechanism for getting past the living Hell that my program created for me is forgetting or burying the worst of it all. I am sure there are arguments in favor of and against this, but that's how it is.

My life in teaching has exponentially improved since then, and this is definitely a place in life where I need to keep looking forward and not back.

Therefore, if anyone ever wants to know how things are, feel free to ask specific questions about my practices now. If you want to know about my student teaching I have a long list of the failures, belonging both to myself and the credential program organizers, professors, master teacher, etc.

It has been a long and difficult journey, but in this case the destination was much more important.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I do not believe this is exclusive to teaching! AND I do believe that while you may not consciously remember all that you did as a student teacher and seemingly only capture the difficult and unpleasant side, I can promise that the positive things you are experiencing are all building blocks base on the foundation that was laid from the student teaching experience.
This is true in the business. My first years in my chosen professional are filled with lots of horror stories. How I survived and arrived where I am today is something I always wonder about. But I now count up my successes today with the foundations of yesteryears. The tougher times that I fought through have were what made my successes today! It does take many years to realize this.
This is true in all aspects of life. NOT just teaching :)
As a woman I would even offer that while giving birth was painfully the most challenging and difficult things I ever did, it is something I would do over the same way and I did. The end results are both very successful. As I got older one set of challenges were replaced by whole different challenges. Many were very unpleasant and painful but there are much more positive memories. It does take time.